Friday, December 28, 2012

I am now 31 weeks into my third pregnancy and it has been smooth sailing... up until now. Yesterday I went in for an ultrasound to check things out since I am considered high risk from my last 2 pregnancies. The ultrasound tech seemed a little bit frustrated as baby was breech and was pretty much folded in half with feet by her face and her hands. She seemed to have a hard time taking measurements, but eventually we got them all and we were sent home. By the time we got home there was already a message from my midwife and she explained all the problems they found... but not to be worried! ACK!
First of all my cervix is already shortened to 2.1 which is very low, 2 being the lowest on a scale from 2-4. But that was the least of her concerns. The fluid is low in my uterus and baby is breached, which can be bad as their may not be enough fluid for her to flip. Also her size is very small she is measuring around the 10th percentile. With the combined low fluid and low baby size they can point to my placenta not fully functioning properly. My midwife Selina, said not to panic however as these are all just red flags and things that we will follow up on.
This afternoon we went to the hospital and I was hooked up to the non-stress test for over an hour. The nurses and doctor told me that baby looks perfectly healthy. She is very active and her heart rate was perfect. We then met up with the O.B. and she answered all our questions and explained things as best as she could understand so far. First and foremost she told me I had to be on bed rest..... ahhhhh!!! I tried my best for bed rest when I was pregnant with Adessa, with no help and a 3 year old, it was pretty hard. I can't imagine how hard it will be with 2 children and no family. Thankfully we are in a MUCH better place then we were then. We own our own home, that is much bigger, we have many WONDERFUL friends and Steve is in his slow season of work so is around a lot right now to help out. It is still going to be extremely difficult and it feels surreal... like I can't wrap my mind around it. I am such a busy person and have never napped not once since being pregnant with my first so I can't imagine how I can do this. But I will... for the sake of this precious little baby growing inside me. I just need to let go and not worry about my house, the meals and all the details.
Anyways the O.B was very clear on bed rest and if I don't that I would end up in the hospital on bed rest. She is also going to send my records to a specialist in Victoria. She felt my cervix, said it was very short and that she could feel baby's bum right against it... which explains the sharp pains I have been having. I have also been booked in for the next couple of weeks to have the non-stress test, ultrasound and meeting with OB weekly to keep an eye on things. Worst case scenario, if fluid doesn't increase and baby isn't growing, they would take her out as she would have a better chance outside of the womb. But we are praying that doesn't happen!
So that is what is going on with our baby. I am not feeling anxious about it, I feel at peace. It makes Steve and I both nervous, but we know she is in God's hands. We are just asking for lots of prayer.

2 comments:

  1. oh Mama! Not a nice feeling to have uncertainties with your wee one. Praying you will be able to stay in bed, even if you can't 'rest', and that Steve and your amazing friends will be able to carry the responsibilities of the girls and home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey with our sweet little grand daughter - We look forward to a safe arrival in due time!

    6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

    8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things

    ReplyDelete