Tuesday, January 1, 2013

'Chronicles From the Couch Part 1

My sister told me to change the name of my blog to the "Couch Chronicles" as my life is currently being lived lying on the couch with my feet propped up. But this blog isn't about just me but my families life and about chronicling the 'little things' that occur in a household with 2 young children and a dog. And so for now my posts will be titled the couch chronicles until my bed rest has been lifted.

This was my fourth full day of bed rest and I am feeling quite at peace with it all. I had a hard time the first couple of days as I just feel so utterly and completely useless. I am not physically injured and feel great, but still need to be confined to the couch for the sake of this precious life inside me. It has been quite the adjustment for Steve and he was finding it quite difficult as the demands of a mother, cooker and cleaner never end. And it didn't help that his wife was directing from the couch. After the first full day of bed rest we had a sit down and talk as we were both feeling rather frustrated. And we came up with a plan, which involves me biting my tongue and letting go of my expectations and perfectionism for how my house should look. And for Steve needing to call in some help. The next morning was Sunday and Steve was leading worship. He never mentioned to anyone that I was on bed rest, but a few good friends had, and by the end of the service Steve was overwhelmed with everyone's offers to help out. That evening some good friends brought us dinner, stayed and ate with us, and then cleaned up all the mess. That visit was quickly followed by a girl from church who had a printed up schedule for the next 2.5 weeks for child care and meals. My jaw dropped and we both felt so loved and so blessed. What a blessing to be part of God's family. And the calls and e-mails for offers of help have not stopped since. We have already had to turn away meals and offers for childcare!

The days are long (but broken up by visits from my wonderful friends!) and my body hurts from sitting or lying on my side, but I am taking it as an opportunity as well. One that I need to take with a smile and make the most of. Because I know that when this third little life comes crying into our world, that I will not experience sitting and quiet for a long time again. I want to make this time meaningful. I have received some good books that I want to dig into and I want to study my bible. A friend made a good point the other day as well. As a mother it is often hard to try and balance household chores, with cooking and spending time with my kids. So I am really making a point to do lots of reading and games with the girls and spending that quality, uninterrupted time with them.

Gods Grace is amazing and I have been amazed at how He is showing it to me. A big part of me feels so guilty sitting on the couch while others are cooking and cleaning for me. And people bringing me over meals... I feel like there are so many others in our church that could use them instead of us. But I am really trying to get over those feelings, I am humbled that others are willing to do so much for our little family and it is such a testament of God's love.

Well that is all for now... Ciao from the Couch!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment