Saturday, January 5, 2013

Chronicles from the Couch Part 3- Update

Yesterday I had a partial ultrasound appointment at the hospital to check fluid levels around Amara. We then proceeded upstairs to the maternity ward where I had a non-stress test (much to the busy nurses dismay!) and a meeting with the on call OB. We were there for 3 hours. And thankfully there is nothing new to report. Everything is maintained for now, fluid level hasn't changed (maybe even increased a wee bit) and cervix is holding out. So still on bed rest as they made it clear they would like this baby to stay in until at least 36 weeks. I am now 32 weeks along, so another month! Steve had a thousand questions for the OB and he answered them all, so we feel like we have our mind wrapped around things a bit better. Nurses and doctor were just saying that it would be so nice if she would just flip over and get out of the breeched position. So that is what we are praying, for the options do not sound too enticing. But for now we will wait until next Thursday where we are meeting with a specialist at the hospital and he will be performing the ultrasound, measuring the fluid and measuring little Amara's body, and we just pray she is growing! Because at that point if she has not, they will be wanting to take her out as she has a better chance growing outside the womb.

I am feeling fine, I have had a lot of distractions with friends stopping by for visits, or my girls cuddling and entertaining me. I have also been on this laptop a lot trying to figure out website stuff for hubby's company and have felt like I have wasted hours researching with nothing to show for it! I have also had a lot of time for reading which is such a nice treat that I am thoroughly enjoying.

A good friend lent me her book One Thousand Gifts- A Dare to Live Fully Right Where you Are after it was recommended by another good friend of mine who was on bed rest with her child. I took this off of a review of the book and it is what has hit home with me as well so I thought I would share it...

"Charis. Grace.
Eucharisteo. Thanksgiving.
Chara. Joy.
A triplet of stars, a constellation in the black.
A threefold cord that might hold a life? Offer a way up into the fullest life? 
Grace, thanksgiving, joy. Eucharisteo.
A Greek word...that might make meaning of everything?"
"Thanksgiving always precedes the miracle."

And it does. 
Ann Voskamp lived much of her life with fists clenched tight, angry that God's gifts to her tasted bitter. Very bitter. The only time life made a little sense was Sunday mornings at church, but the moment she left those doors, things fell apart. One Thousand Gifts is her journey of opening her hands, cupping them to receive grace, whatever form that may take, with thanksgiving, and eventually allowing that grace to trickle through her to others. But I'm putting it so badly.
Eucharisteo. All is grace. Thank you, God, for the rain.
The hard eucharisteo. All is grace. Thank you, God, for this trial. Help me to see Jesus here.
The full-bodied eucharisteo. All is grace, including me! Thank you, God, that I can be a blessing as I have been blessed.
This author is a poet/philosopher/mother-of-six/farmer's wife and very, very real. As she makes her list of one thousand (and more) gifts, I begin to see that with every moment that passes there is an opportunity for thanksgiving. 


It has been such a blessing to me and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. It has helped me get over my guilty, useless feelings of being on bed rest and helped in this week long (so far) journey to fully embrace this time and receive it as a gift and trying to wrap my mind around what Gods grace is fully about. My husband has been an amazing example of this to me the last week. I know his gifting is not in the area of housecleaning, but he has been serving me endlessly. Cleaning the house, taking care of the girls, serving me meals and whatever else I need on the couch. And he has been doing it all with a smile on his face. I love him so much, and am so thankful for the man God has given me to spend my life with.

I have been so thankful for all the little moments in my days, even though the days are long on this sagging couch there are things to be thankful for in.every.moment.
Whenever I feel my sweet Amara move (which is often!)
When my girls come cuddle up to me on the couch and we read stories together, and our imaginations run wild.
Adessa's deep guttural laugh when I tickle her or make a funny face.
Listening to Danika struggle through her reading books and smiling when we complete a new one.
The sweet sparkle in Adessa's mischievous little smile. Danika's big, compassionate eyes.
When my little girls serve me. My husband dropping off kisses whenever he serves me. Watching daddy and daughters. Sunlight peeking out every so often in our gray sky.
I'm thankful that I have had time to read, to spend time in God's word and read thoroughly through the book of Acts, as if reading a crazy adventure novel! (Paul was amazing and a true inspiration!)
Thankful for all my friends who stop by, or text or e-mail saying there praying for me. Or they are dropping off delicious, home cooked meals, or they are taking my children to play for the day.
The list is endless.

And so from the couch I dare YOU to find the beauty in the simple, and to be thankful in all things!!! God Bless!


2 comments:

  1. Wow - every time I read your blog I am humbled by the thought that God allowed me the privilege of carrying you for nine and a half months while you were being knit and formed in my womb and growing to a whopping 9 lbs and 14 ounces and now 25 years later you are waiting patiently for your 3rd child - our 5th grandchild to also grow to completion. Dad and I are so blessed by your family and you have described each of them so adequately. Adessa has a laugh that brings utter joy to us all and Danika has eyes that mirror the pain she sees and the compassion she shares. Steve is your helpmate and soul mate and we thank God he is so committed to you and the girls.
    Stay strong our dear daughter -
    We are proud of you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW Mommy that brought a tear to my eye... I love you! Thanks for the encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete