Monday, February 4, 2013

Countdown Is Officially On!!!

No baby yet! We went in for our ultrasound on Saturday after packing up to stay in the hospital and packing the girls for a sleepover. We had the ultrasound and then went up to the maternity ward for the NST and a meeting with our OB. Fluid levels had increased from Wednesday so there is no rush to take her out. However at this point Steve and I had wrapped our minds around having her out, as it has been so back and forth! But Dr. Bodea said everything was fine so next step is to have another ultrasound on Wednesday, and he booked an aversion (flipping baby from the outside) for Thursday morning at 7 am with two specialists and a midwife.
Basically this is the plan... Thursday morning they will try to flip baby and depending on fluid levels they will either leave her or take her out. If fluid levels have dropped again, he will still try to flip her and if it works they would induce labor.  If fluid is low and they can't flip her they will perform a c-section. If fluid level is fine they will try to flip her and then leave her alone until the following week when I am 38 weeks, at which point he would like to deliver no matter what, whether by inducing labor (if she was able to flip) or by c-section. So for sure I will be meeting my sweet little Amara in 2 weeks! And I am so ready!

My sister sent me this link about a lady who birthed a breech baby and it was a very neat, encouraging story. But after talking with the specialist this weekend and talking with friends and doing a bit of research myself, we feel like we would opt for a c-section over delivering breech. My midwife really wants me to try delivering breech, but the thought scares me and the complications increase especially with my low fluid, and the chance of having the umbilical cord pinched off and Amara not getting oxygen. At first when I read that blog and after talking with midwives, I felt like maybe I would feel like a bit of a failure if I couldn't deliver her myself, as that what our bodies are made for and that is my job! But Steve pointed out that God has also given our doctors advancements that they can deliver by c-section and that our only goal right now is to have a healthy baby. AGREED. And the decision was also solidified when the specialist said he wouldn't be comfortable delivering her breech and would want to do a c-section.
And who knows, they may be able to flip her, or Amara may turn on her own and I will have a normal delivery again, but on the chance that that doesn't happen I have made peace with the idea of a c-section.

There is a little update and for now... countdown is on!!!

2 comments:

  1. oh Nic, you must be so ready to meet your little girl! Praying for your little family, that these last few weeks will be uneventful, until she makes her entrance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole! I'm happy to hear that your little girl will be coming soon. :) You are in good hands with the OB's in town. If you have peace about your decision then you've made the right one. You have to do what you feel safest and best with. I know it wasn't easy! Praying for a smooth and speedy delivery and recovery. I had a c-section with Abby. Just take it slow and easy and you'll be just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete