Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Project Bunk Bed *Completed!*

We are putting the girls in the same room together so I have been on the hunt for the 'perfect' bunk bed for quite some time. We are working with a very low budget for this room so buying a new one was not an option at this time as they run anywhere between $600-$1000 for a new, solid wood, *white* bunk bed (Plus mattresses). And so my search of a used one began.... I replied to A LOT of ads online and every single bunk bed was already sold by the time I heard back... and I checked EVERY day. Apparently bunk beds are in high demand. So as soon as I saw this solid oak bunk bed, with custom made ladder and 3 solid drawers underneath I quickly replied, and we got it!! Steve drove to Victoria to pick it up and we got the bunk bed, mattresses included for $200.00 ... I know, I was kind of grossed out by used mattresses as well, but they were rarely used and I just bought plastic pee covers to protect them... they were clean, without any stains.
So... my vision- beautiful WHITE bunk beds for my little girls room. Steve took the bunk bed apart and so began my 'little' project. I got all the necessary supplies, and began. I first of all sanded all sides, then spray painted the corners with Kilz, then rolled on the rest of the primer. I sanded it again, then had to put on 3 coats of white paint, on both sides!!! I did this project in the garage and by the end of 2 weeks I was so frustrated by the dog hair and dirt sticking to my beautiful white paint. After sanding it down again, trying to get rid of the debris, I began to apply the polyacrylic minwax (it protects the surface) and was soooo close to giving up as it was not going smoothly. During this time we painted the girls room and took everything out of it, so I moved the bunk bed, piece by piece into the room to finish the 3 coats of minwax. You are supposed to let it harden for a week before using, but we put it together right away, as I was SO DONE! Anyways, here are the pictures of this lovely new addition to our home. I am very happy with how it looks... from afar! As up close you can see some remaining dirt, dog hair and for some reason the clear coat when yellow in spots... but oh well! From a distance she looks beautiful! I got the bedding from Jysk, and it was on super clearance and the girls LOVE their new bunk beds and bedding.
I also had lots of fun picking out there new room color, I am loving the blues right now and this color is so refreshing and happy. It was the first larger room of the house we have painted and makes me want to paint the rest of the house so badly... but that will have to wait!

Bunk bed pre-painted... I love that it has removable side rails on the top and bottom, and that it is pretty low
New Bunk Beds FINALLY completed!
Oh and did I mention I am also painting a solid pine dresser and book case for the girls that we are getting from some friends??? Sometimes this money saving mission seems like more work than its cut out to be but I really feel like I worked out all the kinks in this project and that this next project is going to go much smoother... I'll let you know how it turns out!

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!!! You are one talented woman!! Way to go......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nic! What an amazing job, that was a ton of work but you did it! Great job sister! xoxo

    ReplyDelete