Friday, September 17, 2010

Hockey is Life!






Warmland Community Church is the church our family has decided to attend and support. It is the church in our little town of Crofton that was established about 3 years ago. We were unsure at first about wether or not to attend it as we are used to mega churches and this one has a membership around the 300 mark. It is also a seeker friendly church which is something we are not used to. However since making the decision to make this church "ours" we have been blessed with many friendships and neat opportunities. This weekend as a fundraiser for the Warmland center that our church built here in Crofton, our church put on the "Hockey is Life" fundraiser.
There is a man in our church with some AMAZING connections and was able to bring Gordie Howe into town. Steve and I were fortunate enough to attend the dinner and gala evening and had such a blast! The food was amazing and there were HUNDREDS of items at the auction, tons of autographed photos and jerseys. We also purchased a balloon at the beginning of the program which had a number inside and that was the draw for the evening. And guess what?! I won the sought after autographed, framed Gordie Howe photo! I was sooooo stoked! I may even have squealed a little bit! I was able to go up to Gordie Howe and ask to get my photo taken with him, at which point things turned a little bit awkward! He grabbed me nice and close and asked if I wanted to go upstairs with him!!!! (we were in a hotel!!!) I turned sooo red and my jaw dropped!!! I was stunned! But laughing like crazy, I had a girlfriend there and she saw what was happeneing and was killing herself laughing as well!! Quite the memory!!!

The evening was a great success and people were being quite generous! We were soo glad to be a part of it. And to get all dressed up and leave the girls with the most wonderful girl from camp! Now on for tomorrow where I will be playing in the street hockey tournament to finish off this fun weekend! : )



No comments:

Post a Comment