I know I say this every year, but seriously, how is my baby girl six years old already. And I know I reminiscence every year about how little she was and how early she came, but that is something I will never forget, nor do I ever want to. Because 6 six years ago, an hour and a half after I turned 19, my life was changed forever, and for the better- even though at times I struggled so much with where I was at. I had so many dreams- I was in my first year of college on my way to becoming a teacher, when one mistake rocked my world.
First my busy life of sports, friends and academics stopped as I found myself newly married (only a month!) with a 4 pound preemie and renting a dingy little basement suite on the opposite end of Calgary from everything familiar to me. I tried taking a few online courses and did well, but felt like I had wasted that first year of my Danika's life as she was the most content child on the planet and happily sat beside me and smiled or slept. I decided my life could be put on hold and that I wanted to focus on this beautiful baby that I had been given, even though through the world's perspective I should have continued on my education. But I wouldn't change it. My Steve has worked so hard to make ends meet and I am so proud of him. It has made for a lonely wife at times as long days are put in, but we decided to sacrifice the extra comforts so that I could be home with my baby. So many changes have happened since then, and looking back it is hard to believe how far we have come. Steve and I have stuck together and have prayed about each and every decision and over our finances, and we are truly amazed and so blessed at how God has worked in our lives and through our seeking Him. Looking back to our first years, it is crazy how the numbers just don't make sense but how God has always taken care of us. And then how it all fell in line when we took the HUGE leap of faith to move out to Vancouver island to work at camp- left everything familiar, all our family and friends to work in the ministry when I was pregnant with Adessa. And then that didn't work out after 2 years, and how we prayed, and prayed over what to do next and how God just led us into this next phase we are still in. Steve starting his own business and God is taking such good care of us. It is amazing how good it feels just knowing that God cares deeply. I love Matthew 6:31-32 out of the message
"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met."
I love that I can find so many promises in the bible of how God meets our needs and then some. And my biggest wish and prayer for both my girls is that they learn how to put their trust in Jesus. That through watching their parents and us being transparent with them and living out our faith daily that they will understand what a relationship with Jesus is all about. I pray that both my girls will walk in Jesus footprints.
My Danika makes me so proud already. She is such a kind girl and makes sure to play with the kids left out at school. There is a new girl from Japan in her class who only knows a few words and Danika has reached out to her and told Steve and I yesterday that every time she turns around Naona is right there just smiling at her. And today Danika got a big thank you card for inviting her to Danika's party and for being so nice to her at school. Danika has such a soft spot, she is so sensitive and loving. I am so proud of my girl and am so blessed to be her mommy!
Thank you Danika for being such a sweetheart, and even though we are working with you, on getting along with your little sister, I am so proud of you. Your dad and I are so proud of how much you LOVE going to school, how you are teaching us new things about butterflies. How you are recognizing letters and starting to read. The big things we have worked on this past month is your tattle-taleing and your interrupting and you are doing so much better in both areas! We love you sweetie and can't wait to see all that you learn and accomplish in this next year of your life! xoxo
“Father we thank You for Danika, You have blessed us with so much and we praise You for entrusting us with her. She is fearfully and wonderfully made. You chose her for us and we thank You for the gift she is to us. We bless her and ask that You fill her with “Whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, having virtue, or anything praiseworthy, let her think on these things.”
{teared up a little}...you are the perfect mom chosen for her Nic.....
ReplyDelete