Three months ago I was talking to Sharon about exercise and somehow we got talking about running a
10 km race in Victoria... I have never done a race since track n field in school and I always love a challenge and a goal to work towards. So I said sure! I was nervous though... I haven't ran since high school. I do lots of walking and hiking but that's it! So began my training. I probably should have been properly trained as I know now I pushed myself too hard and have really hurt my knee... But I will find out more hopefully at my orthopaedic appointment next week!
10 km race in Victoria... I have never done a race since track n field in school and I always love a challenge and a goal to work towards. So I said sure! I was nervous though... I haven't ran since high school. I do lots of walking and hiking but that's it! So began my training. I probably should have been properly trained as I know now I pushed myself too hard and have really hurt my knee... But I will find out more hopefully at my orthopaedic appointment next week!
Steve went fishing super early Saturday morning with mark before I headed for my night away! Unfortunately he never caught anything but they saw orcas playing right near their boat which is amazing!
Sharon came rolling up my driveway in the afternoon in a cute little Fiat she rented! She didn't want to take the big old diesel truck to Vic... I don't blame her! We grabbed some coffees and were excited for an afternoon of no plans! Except we got stuck in traffic for a solid half an hour... But we had no kids with us so we enjoyed ourselves!


After settling at the hotel we went out for a walk to find somewhere to eat and ended up at the old spaghetti factory... I laughed because it is such a family restaurant... And we were having a night on the town... But was so hungry I was thankful for the quick arriving food! Always yummy! And I had wonderful company! Isn't Sharon lovely! ?
After a good sit in the steam room and sauna we went up to the room to catch the end of the hockey game... Yay Calgary! We then started watching Jurassic park and I just couldn't! I mentioned it and Sharon hopped out of her bed and said let's go! And I reluctantly crawled out and we went across the street to a cute waterfront pub and had delicious raspberrymojitos! Yum! Probably not the best thing before a big race... But totally worth it!

My knee was in a lot of pain as I pushed myself too hard during the week and was in pain walking in my right knee. I also stepped on sharp metal and had a puncture on the bottom of my foot. I was in pain walking to the restaurent in the evening that Sharon almost convinced me not to run in the morning... As did my mom therapy morning. Was it really worth it? I mean my knee was really really hurting... But I felt like I worked so hard- I would be so disappointed if I didn't show up! So I had too... We ran as a part of the Monet Spa team and all had matching purple shirts. We lined up in the hour and half finish section...
Amongst the 8000 athletes that showed up that morning! It was an amazing event to be a part of and so fun!

Feeling excited! And cold!
I started therun with Sharon and Elizabeth, but the crowd was so thick I couldn't do it, so I plugged in my earphones and started a light jog. The crowd was insane and I felt I was weaving in and out of the walkers trying to maintain a nice speed. The run was gorgeous... Running downtown Victoria... Cherry blossoms raining all around us, the ocean on my right. I was just thinking how blessed I am to love here and it felt like I was running in a picture! At around 5 km my knee and right hip hurt so bad... I felt like I needed to give up... So I stopped and walked and grabbed water at the water station and prayed through it. I really wanted to finish strong. So I started running again and my upper body felt so strong like I could go forever... It was my stupid knee. So I maintained a fair pace- praying the whole way through until it just went away! So either my prayer was answered (which I believe it was!) or my Advil kicked in! 😜The pain was gone and with 1 Km left I was able to pick up my speed for the home run... It felt so good to cross the finish line! And I finished the race in 1 hr and 3 minutes. I was so proud of myself for this accomplishment! But then when I was across I was lost in a sea of people! So I found my way back to the finish line and was able to take pictures of the rest of the team crossing the line!
Sharon and I... We did it! Thank you friend for challenging me to this!
I really have loved this little journey of training for something and I hope I can figure out what is going on with my knee so I can continue to run for fun and possibly keep training for more races in the future. I love taking Meeko, plugging in my ear phones and just running through this beautiful place I get to call home!








I was so proud of your resolve!! So stubborn and wonderful. Let's do this again?
ReplyDelete