Sunday, January 15, 2012

PRAYER

What do you think of when you think of prayer? For me it has been something I have always done, I grew up praying for meals and when I really needed something. I went through more spiritual times when I would pray much deeper, but my prayer life has always been something that is lacking in my life.
Prayer moves the hand of God. It is clear when reading the scriptures, yet why is it so hard to commit to. Why is it often our last resource when we are sick, or struggling financially, or have a heavy burden? I think in our comfy culture it is because we are fortunate enough to go with having our needs met, so we don't really feel that we NEED God to help us out.

We were fortunate enough to hear a guest speaker this morning from my sister in laws church in Spruce Grove. His name is David Chotka and he wrote a book called 'Power Praying-Hearing Jesus' spirit by praying Jesus' prayer.' Steve and I heard him preach this morning at New Life in Duncan and then went again this evening to hear more. And can hopefully go again tomorrow night to hear him again. That man has humbled himself before our Maker and has seen the hand of God move, and has prayed His hand into motion. I was blessed to hear the stories, I felt the Holy spirit fill the church as he proclaimed the power of God. My sister in law bought us his book a year ago, but I now hope that I may be able to read through it and grasp a bit better how to know Gods will for my life. I would recommend it so far. He shared stories that I will not get into- as I know many are skeptical.
But I feel the power in those stories, and want that for my own life.
It all begins with prayer. By saying 'yes' to God. To picking a time and spot each and every day to just meet with God. To be still before Him. To read scripture. Because God will always be there- and will meet YOU where you are at.
Tonight David outlined a wheel to use when seeking and discerning God's voice... something I value deeply, as when making big decisions in life it is often hard to differentiate whether it is our own will at work or Gods.
At the center of the wheel is the Word of Christ-to meditate and memorize scriptures and to know the promises of the Lord. Next is the Witness of the spirit- Is there peace in your soul? Then Workers in Gods work. If you are making a big decision in life seek counsel of someone wiser and older than you, who is not bias and who will seek God on your behalf. When talking with Steve about this later we both had thought of Grandma M when he mentioned this. She has been someone in both our lives who is the epitome of a 'worker' and we are so blessed to have her in our lives and to know that each and every day she is praying for our family, it blesses us dearly.
When you come to a decision you need to be able to Worship. If you are not drawn into worship you may need to re-consider. The last W in the wheel was Will of the Believer, to follow it through.

I know we are half way through January but I want my New Years Resolution to be a deeper prayer life, and to have a better relationship with my King. I want to dig deeper into the word and spend time with God. I want and desire to know Him more. I believe that Steve and I were brought to the island for a reason and have met the people we have for a reason and are in the church we are in for a reason, and I just hope that I can pray and seek how God wants to use me, because I am not living to my fullest potential as of now.
And now I have it on my blog, a hard post to post, but I am doing so as I would like some accountability as I know life gets in the way and before I know it, the day has whizzed past and I haven't even mumbled out a prayer. But I want this and I need this. And I want to be able to hear the voice of God. So that's my resolution and desire, may 2012 be filled with the Holy Spirit of God....

No comments:

Post a Comment